The perfect meal for any vegetarian! This Tofu Quiche has plenty of vegetables and soy-based protein to make it filling without the meat.
You can make a delicious, creamy quiche without the use of meat or dairy. The crispy crust and filling will have you craving seconds!
The traditional quiche recipe calls for heavy cream (or milk) and eggs, but it would be too rich sometimes. So I prefer to make alternatives with tofu which have a more mild flavor instead!
- This recipe is for you if:
- You love tofu.
- You are looking for a vegan party recipe.
- You want to make a quiche with tofu.
Let me walk you through the ingredients and how to make them with step-by-step instructions. Let's get cooking!
About this recipe
- Vegan tofu recipe
- Make a crust from scratch
- Use removable bottom pan
- Bakint time: 30 minutes
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Crust: Whole wheat flour, oil, salt and water. You can subsitute whole wheat flour with all-purpose flour.
- Tofu cream: Tofu, cashew nuts and salt. Use firm tofu (momen) and press completely to make it more firm.
- Vegetables: Potatoes, shimeji mushrooms, spinach and cherry tomatoes
Ok, I'm gonna walk you through the process step by step. There are a lot of steps, but let's give it a try!
Make a Crust
First of all, preheat the oven at 180C/356F. Also please press tofu and remove extra water beforehand.
- Put crust ingredients in a bowl and make the dough.
- The dough will be like this.
- Place the dough on a tart pan and spread.
- Make holes with a fork.
And bake it in the preheated 180C/356F oven for 10 minutes.
- Cut potatoes into bite-size, remove bottom of shimeji mushrooms and separate them.
- Chop spinach and cut cherry tomatoes into bite-size.
- Steam potatoes and shimeji mushrooms.
- Add spinach and steam.
Bake the quiche
- Put tofu cream ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the tofu cream to a bowl, add the steamed vegetables and combine well.
- Add tomatoes and combine.
- Fill the fillings onto the crust, and bake for 30 minutes at 180C/356F.
Here you go!
It takes some time and patience, but it's totally worth it! The crust is crispy and the inside is super creamy.
Please finish it up within the day to enjoy the crispy crust. If you have leftover, store it in the refrigerator and eat within 2 days.
In this recipe, I used vegetables that are available all year round, but if you use seasonal vegetables, you can make many variations. Here are some ideas for you:
- Spring: Asparagus, snap peas and spring onions
- Summer: Egg plants, zucchini and paprika
- Autumn: Kabocha squash (Japanese pumpkin)
🥗 Side dishes
What dish goes well with vegan tofu quiche? Here are some ideas:
- Chickpea tomato soup
- Napa cabbage soup
- Vegan chickpea salad
- Veggie quinoa salad
- Asparagus and boiled egg simple salad
Thanks for Stopping By
Even though it requires a lot of steps to make it, each step is simple and easy. I hope you will try the recipe.
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡ If you’ve tried this recipe(or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that shares simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes include vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
More Tofu Recipes You Might Like
- Vegetarian tofu hambagu
- Fried tofu(atsuage) teriyaki
- Japanese style vegan mapo tofu
- Japanese teriyaki tofu and mushrooms
Watch How To Make It
Vegan Tofu QuichePrint Pin Rate
- 1 c & 3Tbsp Whole-wheat flour, 150g/285ml
- 3½ tablespoon Oil, 50g/53ml
- ¼ c Water, 60g/60ml
- pinch of Salt
- 1 Tofu, firm (300g)
- 2 tablespoon Cashew nuts, 30g/27ml
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Potatoes, 300g
- 1 c Shimeji mushrooms, 50g
- 1 c Spinach, 40g
- 5 Cherry tomatoes, 65g
- Preparation: Press tofu to remove extra water, and preheat an oven to 180C/356F.
- Make crust dough: Put crust ingredients in a bowl and mix to make the dough.
- Bake the crust: Place the dough on a tart pan, evenly spread, make holes with a fork on the bottom and bake it for 10 minutes at 180C/356F.
- Cut vegetables: Cut potatoes, spinach, and cherry tomatoes into bite-size. Cut off the bottom of shimeji mushrooms and separate them.
- Steam vegetables: Put potatoes and shimeji mushrooms in a pot and steam for about 7 minutes, and put spinach on top and steam another one minute.
- Tofu cream: Put tofu cream ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Make fillings: Transfer the tofu cream to a bowl, add the steamed vegetables and combine well. Add tomatoes and combine.
- Bake: Fill the fillings evenly onto the crust, and bake for 30 minutes at 180C/356F.
- Equipment: Tart pan (9 inches/21cm), spatula, food processor.
- Substitute: You can substitute whole-wheat flour with all-purpose flour. You can also use other vegetables for the fillings: See "Variations."
- Storage: Please finish it up within the day to enjoy the crispy crust. If you have leftover, store it in the refrigerator and eat within two days.
- Please see How to press tofu for your reference.