Japanese Napa Cabbage Soup is a cream-based soup made with soy milk, miso, and dashi broth (soup stock). This delicious, hearty soup is a cozy and satisfying meal option on cold days or busy weeknights.
Are you looking for a new recipe that will warm you to your core? If so, this cabbage soup recipe is perfect for you!
Napa cabbage, or Hakusai in Japanese, is a delicious cool-weather vegetable with great health benefits. Sometimes referred to as celery cabbage, Napa cabbage is low in calories and has high levels of vitamin C. One of the best ways to eat it is by making soup.
This is a simple, great recipe made with miso soup with soy milk. Napa cabbage becomes tender by simmering, while the miso and dashi add a nice aroma and flavor.
- This recipe is for you if:
- You are looking for napa cabbage recipes
- You want to make napa cabbage soup
- You love Japanese miso soup
Looking for a soup that will help you feel warm and relaxed? If so, then this is one of the best soups for you! Let's get started!
About This Recipe
- Japanese-flavored napa cabbage soup
- Use dashi stock and miso paste
- Vegan and vegetarian adaptable
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Napa Cabbage: Our main ingredient. We will use ¼ of a whole napa cabbage.
- Other vegetables: We use shimeji mushrooms and carrots in this recipe, but you can also use other vegetables such as broccoli, diced onion, fresh parsley, potatoes, etc.
- Aburaage: It's deep-fried tofu. You can find it in Asian supermarkets. I like to choose the thick kind as it's chewy and soaks up the soup very well.
- Soy Milk: We use plain soy milk that contains no sugar and has no flavor added. You can substitute it with other types of milk.
- Dashi Powder: Dashi is a Japanese soup stock, and we will use bonito dashi powder in this recipe. If you want to make dashi from scratch, you might want to try my Awase dashi or Niboshi dashi recipe. If you are a vegan/vegetarian, please check out this Shiitake kombu dashi recipe.
- Miso: We use authentic miso paste made from soybeans, koji, and salt. (If you buy miso, please do not choose one that contains dashi).
I will walk you through how to make it step by step. You can also watch this video.
- Cut ingredients: Cut napa cabbage into pieces, remove the bottom of the shimeji and separate them, and cut carrots and aburaage into strips.
- Bring to a boil: Put vegetables, dashi powder, and water into a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Simmer: Simmer on low heat for 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables become tender.
- Add soy milk: Add soy milk. Be sure to turn off the heat before the soup begins to boil.
- Add miso: Add in miso paste and stir until it melts.
Enjoy this hearty soup while it's warm!
If you have leftovers, let them cool down completely, transfer them to a jar, and keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
These are easy ideas to have more variations on napa cabbage soup.
- Simple Miso Soup: Omit soy milk.
- Tomato Soup Base: Substitute soymilk with tomato juice or tomato paste.
- Stew: Stir fry the ingredients in oil, add the flour and mix. Change the bonito dashi powder for a vegetable broth, and it becomes a cream stew.
What To Serve With
Why don't you serve it with these dishes and have a Japanese-style meal?
Thanks for Stopping By!
Japanese Napa cabbage soup is an easy-to-make, comforting soup and one of my go-to recipes on a cold day. I hope you enjoy it and add it to your soup recipes!
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡ . If you’ve tried this recipe (or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that shares simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes, including vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
More Napa Cabbage Recipes You Might Like
- Napa Cabbage Soup
- Napa Cabbage Coleslaw
- Napa Cabbage Miso Stir-fry
- Napa Cabbage Tofu Rolls
- Napa Cabbage Recipes
How To Make Japanese Napa Cabbage SoupPrint Pin Save Saved!
- 1 Large pot
- Cut ingredients: Cut napa cabbage into pieces, remove the bottom of shimeji and separate them, cut carrots and aburaage into strips.
- Bring to a boil: Put vegetables, water, and dashi powder in a pot, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Simmer: Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes or until the vegetables become tender.
- Add soy milk: Add soy milk, and turn off the heat right before boiling.
- Add miso: Add miso and melt.