If you're looking for a super easy kabocha squash recipe, why not try these Japanese-style fried kabocha squash? It's ready in 10 minutes and tastes so good!
Kabocha squash is the sweet and starchy Japanese pumpkin that we make all sorts of dishes from.
This fried kabocha squash, however, is one of our family's favorites because kids love it so much! It would be a great side for dinner or snacks in between meals.
All you need is 4 ingredients, kabocha squash, potato starch, salt, and oil. Fry up the kabocha squash, sprinkle with salt while they're still hot, then enjoy!
- This recipe is for you if:
- you love Japanese kabocha squash
- you are wondering how to cook kabocha squash.
- you are looking for easy kabocha squash recipes
- you want to make a side dish with kabocha squash
I will show you how to make this tasty dish. If you want to check the recipe, please jump to the recipe card. Let's get cooking!
About this recipe
- Kabocha squash (Japanese pumpkin) recipe
- 4 ingredients
- Easy recipe under 10 minutes
- Crispy and sweet
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Kabocha squash: Try to pick the one which has fluffy seeds with dark orange. They are sweet and delicious one.
- Potato starch: Coating with potato starch make this dish crunchy. You can substitute it with corn starch or rice flour.
- Salt: I use coarse salt in this recipe, but please use your favorite salt.
- Oil: I use olive oil in this recipe, but please use your favorite oil.
Ok, let me walk you through how to make it step by step. You can watch this video as well.
- Remove the kabocha squash seeds and cut it into slices.
- Coat with potato starch.
- Shallow fry on one side for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn over and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt.
Here you go! The outside is crispy, the inside is thick and sweet as can be with a sprinkle of salt to make it even tastier.
Please enjoy these fried kabocha squash while they are still hot!
Thanks for Stopping By
If you love kabocha squash, I'm sure you'll absolutely fall in love with this dish. It's easy to make and tastes so good! Let me know what you think of the recipe when it comes out 🙂
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡ If you’ve tried this recipe(or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that shares simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes include vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
More Kabocha Squash Recipes You Might Like
Fried Kabocha SquashPrint Pin Rate
- ¼ Kabocha squash, 250g
- 2 tablespoon Potato starch, 18g
- a pinch of Salt
- Oil for frying
- Cut kabocha squash: Remove the seeds and cut it into slices.
- Coat with potato starch: Put the kabocha squash and potato starch in a large bowl and stir by hand to coat evenly.
- Shallow fry: Put 1 cm (½ inch) oil in a frying pan and heat over medium heat. Put the kabocha squash and fry on one side for 1-2 minutes (or until browned), turn over, and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt: Transfer them to a plate, and sprinkle salt on them.