This okara salad is so simple but healthy and delicious! All you have to do is mix all your ingredients. Would you like a bite?
Okara is simply soy pulp from the production of tofu or soymilk, and it's a healthy food that provides dietary fiber with its low calories.
This recipe is a super simple and easy salad with the okara.
You'll love this with a creamy dressing that pairs perfectly with okara and vegetables like celery and tomatoes. It doesn't get any better than healthy fare made without much fuss!
- This recipe is for you if:
- You love Japanese food.
- You want to make a okara salad.
- You don't know what to do with okara.
- You are looking for a easy and healthy salad recipe.
If you haven't cooked okara before, don't worry, this is a super easy recipe. Let's get cooking!
About this recipe
- Easy and healthy okara salad
- All you have to do is mix ingredients
- Cooking time in under 10 minutes
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Raw okara: Use raw okara (not powder okara). See the next paragraph for more information.
- Vegetables: Cherry tomatoes, sprout, celery, and parsley. (You can use any vegetables you like. Something crunchy like cucumber and paprika would be good too.)
- Dressing: Yogurt (no sugar contained), mayonnaise, lemon, salt, and pepper. (If you are a vegan, feel free to substitute with vegan yogurt and vegan mayonnaise.)
Okara is a by-product in tofu or soy milk production that's often used as an ingredient for healthy food, such as flourless cakes and pancakes!
There are two types of okara available raw okara or okara powder. I use raw okara in this recipe, but if you can't find it easily then you can use okara powder as well.
What is Okara good for?:
Okara is healthy food and contains proteins, dietary fiber, magnesium, calcium, and vitamin B2. Also, it's gluten-free and low on sugar, so often used as a weight-loss-friendly food.
What to do with Okara:
The traditional okara dish is called "Unohana", which is simmered vegetables seasoned with dashi, soy sauce and mirin.
It’s also often used in salads and desserts such as cookies, doughnuts, and cakes.
Can I freeze Okara?:
Yes, you can. Raw okara doesn't last long, but it will last for one month by freezing. When using it, you can cook it without thawing.
Let me show you how to make this salad! You can also watch this video.
- Cut vegetables
- Put them in a bowl (Put all ingredient except dressing in a bowl)
- Make the dressing (Check the taste and add seasoning if necessary)
- Toss the salad (Pour the dressing over and toss)
There you go, healthy okara salad is ready!
If you have leftover, transfer to a container and store in the fridge. Raw okara doesn't last long, so be sure to eat it out within a few days.
Thanks for Stopping By
I hope you enjoy this super healthy okara salad! It's an easy and simple recipe that I hope you'll love.
Thank you for taking time to read my blog♡ If you’ve tried this recipe(or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog which share simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes include vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step by step instructions.
More Healthy Salad Recipes You Might Like
Okara SaladPrint Pin Rate
- 120 g Raw okara
- 5 Cherry Tomatoes, 90g
- ½ pack Sprout, 30g
- ½ Celery stalk, 50g
- A little Parsley
- 2 tablespoon Yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 wedge Lemon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- pinch of Pepper
- Cut vegetables: Cut cherry tomatoes into four, chop celery and parsley. And put the vegetables, sprout, and okara in a bowl.
- Dressing: Put all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and mix well.
- Toss: Pour the dressing over and toss them well.
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge.
- Substitute: You can use any vegetables you like. Something crunchy like cucumber and paprika would be good too. If you are a vegan, please use vegan yogurt and vegan mayonnaise. If you don't have a fresh lemon, you can use a bottled lemon juice.