This Simple Sauteed Garlic Asparagus is for anyone who loves this seasonal vegetable and wants something simple yet delicious-looking on their plate!
Asparagus is a seasonal vegetable that can be found freshest during the spring. The best way to enjoy it? Give a try this tasty asparagus recipe!
This simply sauteed garlic asparagus is a great side dish for all those looking to add some extra flavor without too much hassle.
- This recipe is for you if:
- You love sauteed asparagus.
- You want to know how to saute asparagus.
- You are looking for ways to cook asparagus with garlic.
Let me walk you through the ingredients and the instructions. If you just want to check the recipe, jump to the recipe. Let's get started!
Asparagus from Hokkaido!
The most famous producing area of asparagus in Japan is my hometown, Hokkaido.
Every spring, I get a box of fresh asparagus that my mother sends from Hokkaido. The strong and fresh green vegetables are perfect for any side dish.
I've always loved asparagus. When I was a small child, my mother would cook us up some boiled fresh spears with mayonnaise for breakfast every day!
Anyway, let's dive in and saute these beautiful asparagus.
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Asparagus: Fresh and seasonal asparagus is the best.
- Olive oil: We use extra virgin olive oil.
- Garlic: We use 2 cloves.
- Salt and Pepper: I like Himalayan pink salt or sea salt for cooking because the delicious salt enhances simple dishes.
Let's go over how to make it. You can also watch this video.
- Slice garlic: Remove the skin of garlic and cut off the bottom and slice it
- Cut asparagus: Cut off the bottom part(about 0.5 cm) and cut it in half
- Cook sliced garlic: Heat a frying pan over low heat, put olive oil and garlic
- Saute asparagus: Once you smell the garlic, add asparagus and saute
- Cover and cook: Cover and cook for 3 to 6 minutes on low heat
- Season: Season with salt and pepper
Sauteed garlic asparagus is done! Go ahead and enjoy!
It's a little crunchy and so delicious.
Tweak the cooking time
How long to cook asparagus is according to the size of your asparagus.
If they are thick, then cook for 6 minutes. If they are thin, then 3 minutes would be enough.
Peel off the hard skin
If you don't like hard skin, please peel it off with a peeler before cooking.
No need to boil asparagus beforehand
We saute them on low heat so no need to boil them.
This recipe is very basic, so let's add your favorite ingredients and enjoy the variations!
My favorite variations：
- Saute with butter
- Saute with mushrooms
- Saute with spinach
- Saute with cheese
- Top with a half-boiled egg
- Top with parmesan cheese
- Add a pinch of lemon juice
Thanks for Stopping By
This is a super simple dish and you can taste the delicious seasonal asparagus directly.
Since this recipe uses olive oil and garlic, I meant it for grownups but our kids also love it.
I hope you and your family will enjoy the recipe.
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡ If you’ve tried this recipe(or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that shares simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes including vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
More Asparagus Recipes You Might Like
Simple Sauteed Garlic AsparagusPrint Pin Rate
- 8 Asparagus
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- Slice garlic: Remove the skin of garlic and cut off the bottom and slice it.
- Cut asparagus: Cut off the bottom part(about 0.5 cm) and cut it in half.
- Cook sliced garlic: Heat a frying pan over low heat, put olive oil and garlic.
- Saute asparagus: Once you smell the garlic, add asparagus and saute.
- Cover and cook: Cover and cook for 3 to 6 minutes on low heat.
- Season: Season with salt and pepper.
- Equipment: Frying pan 22 cm/9 inches
- If you are using a large frying pan, there is no need to cut it in half.
- How long to cook asparagus is according to the size of your asparagus. If asparagus is thick, then cook for 6 minutes. If thin, then 3 minutes would be enough.
- If you don't like hard skin, please peel it off with a peeler before cooking.
- We saute them on low heat, so there is no need to boil them beforehand.