Natto chahan is the best way to enjoy natto and rice. It's an easy lunch that you can make in no time at all!
Natto chahan is Japanese-style fried rice made of natto (fermented soybeans) and rice. If you love natto, this one is for you!
You can't go wrong with this simple, but tasty recipe. It's the perfect quick lunch!
Our kids enjoy this rice so much!
- This recipe is for you if:
- You love Japanese natto
- You are looking for natto recipe
- You love fried rice
- You are looking for easy chahan (fried rice) recipe
If you haven't heard of natto, see "how to eat natto" for more details.
Let me show you how to make it. If you want to check the recipe, please jump to the recipe card. Let's get cooking!
About This Recipe
- Simple natto and rice recipe
- Japanese-style fried rice
- It's ready in 15 minutes
- Kids love it
- Vegetarian recipe
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Eggs: Use 2 eggs.
- Natto: In Japan, natto comes with natto sauce and karashi (Japanese mustard), and we use the attached sauce in this recipe. If your natto doesn't come with the sauce, please substitute it with soy sauce. See: How to eat natto
- Rice: Japanese short-grain rice. I use frozen leftover rice for this recipe (leftover is the best for chahan). If you haven't cooked Japanese short-grain rice before, please see: How to cook Japanese rice.
- Green peppers: Scallion is also good.
- Oil: I use sesame oil as the aroma is excellent for chahan, but you can use your favorite oil.
- Garlic ginger soy sauce: Homemade sauce with ginger, garlic, and soy sauce. It needs to be made in advance, so if you want to use it right away, substitute it by mixing soy sauce, grated garlic, and grated ginger. See more below.
Garlic ginger soy sauce
Put soy sauce, chopped ginger, and garlic in a glass jar and soak for a day before using. It will last for 2 to 3 months in the fridge.
It's an all-purpose sauce that is great for any savory dishes such as stir fry, karaage, or marinade for any ingredients.
I love this sauce! It's a must-have in my kitchen and can't be without. Give it try, you'll like it too!
Where to buy natto
If you live in Japan, it's so easy to find natto in a grocery store or convenience store. It is usually placed around the tofu area.
If you live outside of Japan, try to find it in the Japanese grocery store (or Asian grocery store).
If you live in the US, I found this frozen natto in Walmart: Shirakiku mito natto. Please check that out too.
Well, it's time to cook! You can also watch this video.
- Prepare your Garlic ginger soy sauce
- Chop green peppers
- Mix natto with natto sauce
- Beat eggs in a bowl and add natto and green peppers
- Pour oil in a frying pan and stir fry the egg mixture
- Stir fry until natto becomes less gooey
- Add rice and stir fry
- Add garlic ginger soy sauce
- Stir fry until combined
There you go! Serve on your plate and enjoy your chahan!
It’s tasty, and the perfect balance of flavor might make you get addicted to it:) I hope you love it!
What to serve with
Why don't you serve miso soup and salad to complete your meal!
If I owned my own restaurant, I would offer a mouth-watering natto lover's meal like this!
- Natto chahan
- Natto miso soup (or any miso soup)
- Salad (pickled napa cabbage, tomatoes, lettuce)
Thanks For Stopping By
Our favorite natto chahan is the perfect superfood for those looking to add some healthy, protein-packed goodness into their diet! I hope you'll like it as much as we do!
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡ If you’ve tried this recipe(or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
More Natto Recipes You Might Like
- How to eat Japanese Natto
- Chilled natto udon noodle bowl
- Natto egg toast
- Natto cheese toast
- Natto omelet
Natto Chahan (Japanese-Style Fried Rice)Print Pin Rate
- 2 Eggs
- 1 pack Natto , 50g (Use the attached sauce as well)
- 2 Green peppers
- 1 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 2 bowls Rice, 400g (cooked short-grain rice)
- 1½ tablespoon Garlic Ginger Soy Sauce
Garlic Ginger Soy Sauce
- 400 ml Soy Sauce
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 clove Ginger
- Preparation: Chop green peppers, mix natto with natto sauce, and beat eggs in a bowl.
- Make egg mixture: Combine the beaten eggs, natto, and green peppers and make an egg mixture.
- Stir fry egg: Pour oil in a frying pan over medium heat, slowly pour the egg mixture, and cook until natto becomes less gooey.
- Rice: Add rice and stir fry.
- Garlic Ginger Soy Sauce: Add garlic ginger soy sauce and stir fry until combined.
- Garlic Ginger Soy Sauce
- Mince: Finely mince garlic and ginger with a food processor (or a knife).
- Put in a bottle: Put soy sauce, minced garlic, and ginger in a bottle and stir.
- In the fridge: Keep the bottle in the refrigerator, and you can use it from the next day.
- Equipment: Frying pan 26 cm/10.2 inches, 450ml bottle (for Garlic ginger soy sauce)
- Substitute: Garlic ginger soy sauce needs to be made in advance, so if you want to make this recipe right away, substitute it by mixing soy sauce, grated garlic, and grated ginger.
- Garlic ginger soy sauce will last for 2 to 3 months in the fridge. It's an all-purpose sauce that is great for stir fry, karaage, or marinade for any ingredients.
- See: How to cook Japanese short grain rice
- Leftover rice is perfect for fried rice (will be less mushy). When using the rice, microwave them before adding to a frying pan then you can save cooking time. If you are going to cook rice now, add a little less water to make it hard.
Leave a Reply