This is an easy marinated tempeh with Japanese flavor. Shogayaki is similar to teriyaki but the marinade includes ginger. It's a great main dish that goes well with Japanese sticky rice.
Thanks for visiting my page. Since you are here, I assume you are already familiar with tempeh and looking for some new ideas for how to cook tempeh?
If you love Japanese food, you would love this Marinated Tempeh Shogayaki recipe. This is like teriyaki but with the flavor of ginger. ("Shoga" means ginger, "Yaki" means grilled)
Teriyaki sauce is typically made from sake, soy sauce, mirin, and sugar. And shogayaki sauce is made from the same ingredients plus grated ginger.
If that sounds good to you, let me show you how to cook it!
This recipe is ideal for
- Someone who like tempeh or teriyaki(Japanese food)
- Someone who want to make simple, easy and healthy main dish
- Someone who is vegan or vegetarian
What is Tempeh?
This is a quick recap just in case you want to go over it quickly.
Tempeh is a fermented food made with soybeans and originated in Indonesia. It's highly nutritious and used as a meat substitute for vegan/vegetarian.
Tempeh itself does not have much taste so it's better to add a bit more flavor than usual. If you are worried about the smell of beans, you can cover it with a strong seasoning.
Related ArticleWhat is Tempeh?
I just wanna mention the tempeh in Japan.
This picture is the tempeh that I usually buy from an online store. It is produced locally made with Japanese soybeans.
Tempeh is not common food here, only well known by the vegan/vegetarian community. Medium-scale stores or healthy stores sell it but with a small package so that's why I buy it online stores which have more variety of size.
I see the recipe in English that they steam tempeh before cooking but we don't do it. Tempeh in japan usually can be eaten raw.
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Japanese Sake
- Soy Sauce
If you are not familiar with Japanese seasoning such as mirin, sake, please check the good article below.
- Related Article
- Mirin (Japanese Sweet Rice Wine)
We have all the ingredients now so here is the step-by-step instruction.
- Mix Seasoning >> Put sake, mirin, soy sauce in a small bowl
- Add grated ginger >> Add grated ginger in the bowl to make a ginger marinade
- Slice Tempeh >> Slice tempeh into 5-7mm size
- Marinate >> Add the sliced tempeh to the marinade and leave more than 10 minutes. If you have time, finish the process the day before and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight to make the sauce soak deeper into the tempeh. Also if you like ginger, adding more ginger would be great.
- Coat the tempeh with flour >> Coat the both side tempeh with flour. You can skip this process if you are in a hurry as it still tastes good without flour.
- Grill >> Put oil to the pan over medium heat, grill the tempeh about 2 minutes, flip it over and grill for another 2 minutes. The tempeh will absorb the oil quickly, so please add the oil if necessary and be careful not to burn it.
There you go! Golden brown Japanese-style marinated tempeh is done!
I would love to place them on the steamed rice along with vegetable stir fry or green salad and make it a rice bowl!
I introduced how to make tempeh shogayaki, I hope you like it.
It's super simple and easy so if you get your tempeh, let's make it and enjoy!
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡ If you’ve tried this recipe(or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that shares simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes include vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
More Healthy Recipes You Might Like
Marinated Tempeh-Japanese Shogayaki (Vegan)Print Pin Rate
- 250 g Tempeh
- 2 tablespoon Flour
- Oil for frying
- Mix sauce ingredients well to make a marinade.
- Slice tempeh 5-7mm each, add to the marinade and leave more than 10mins.
- Coat the tempeh with flour.
- Put oil to the pan over medium heat, grill the tempeh about 2 minutes, flip it over and grill for another 2 minutes.
- It is easy to burn because of the marinade, so add oil whenever it runs out
Could you tell me where you buy Tempeh online in Japan please as I’ve recently started a Plant based diet
Oh nice! I buy large size(500g) soy beans tempeh from もたいテンペ(motai tempeh). I love their tempeh, the service is great. They also sell it on amazon as well. If you try the tempeh, please let me know!
We love this, over here in Chicago! Thanks for this recipe - I’ll be making my own tempeh at home soon, as well as nattō!
I believe the recommendation about steaming the tempeh, here in the US, is because ours usually comes from the store and is somewhat bitter straight out of the package. Homemade or from higher quality soybeans - tastes a lot better!
Hi Helena, I didn't know about the bitter taste. Thanks for letting me know! It's good to know. Making your own tempeh?! That's amazing! and natto as well!!! Wow^0^