Soba Noodle Salad, Japanese soba noodle turn into a colorful salad. Mix soba noodle with lots of fresh vegetables and refreshing mayo dressing. It's easy to make and perfect for light meal.
I often check overseas food blogs to get inspired. They cover lots of useful information and i admired beautiful sophisticated food photos. And also use unique and interesting way to cook Japanese traditional ingredients.
Among them, I found soba noodle salad, not "soba salad". In English, there is a tendency to add noodle like "soba noodle", "ramen noodle", "udon noodle" instead of just soba, ramen, udon in Japanese.
Anyway, when i found soba noodle salad recipe online, i thought that was new idea as i have never thought about using soba for salad.But when i think about it, noodle salads such as udon salad and ramen salad (only in Hokkaido?) are already exist and popular dish so it's no surprise that soba can be in a salad.
So like that, I was inspired by overseas food blogs, and I started making soba noodle salads frequently.
The soba has its own darker color, so when mixed with colorful vegetables, it becomes a photogenic dish. And seasoning goes well with both Japanese and Western styles. This particular recipe will be seasoned with mayo dressing.
How to Make Soba Noodle Salad
First boil soba noodle. When it's boiled, wash it thoroughly with water and remove the starch from the noodles(you can feel the slimy texture).
The recipe uses carrots, red onions and celery, but any vegetable that can be good such as tomatoes, corn, cucumbers and lettuce. If you have a lot of colors, the salad looks pretty beautiful and also you can get a wide range of nutrition. It is good to keep in mind to have a healthy eating habit.
It is better to mix the seasoning in a small bowl first, taste it once, and mix it with soba. If you want more sourness, try adding a little vinegar, and if you want more salty, add another pinch of salt. Please adjust the amount of seasoning according to your taste.
By the way, I like sour taste so I usually add a little more vinegar.
Once you have seasoned, mix the whole thing well. Please use a large bowl so that the ingredients does not overflow.
Thanks for reading through the end. If you have any questions, please send me in the comment section below.
Soba Noodle SaladPrint Pin Rate
- 1 bundle Soba Noodle
- ½ Carrot
- ½ Celery
- ¼ Red Onion
- Pinch of Sesame Seed
- 2 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Yogurt
- 1 piece Lemon
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- Pinch of Salt
- Bring water to a boil in a pot and boil soba noodles(follow the instructions on the package)
- Cut all the vegetable into thin strings
- Mix all dressing ingredients well in a small bowl
- Drain the water and wash the soba noodles thoroughly with cold water to remove the starch
- Transfer the boiled soba, chopped vegetables, dressing into a bowl and mix lightly
- Lastly sprinkle sesame seeds on the top
- The vinegar i use in the recipe is rice vinegar
- I use mild sour yogurt. If you have sour yogurt, just check the taste of dressing before mixing whole ingredients
- If you cut the vegetables as thin and long as possible, it will be easier to mix with soba.