Enjoy a quick, easy, and delicious wakame salad! It's a simple and healthy dish that is perfect as a light meal or a side dish!
Give this seaweed salad a try! This popular salad, which you may have already tasted at your favorite Japanese restaurants, boasts a delicate texture and mild flavor that will surely be a hit.
Enjoy it at home with this easy-to-follow recipe!
- This recipe is for you if:
- You love Japanese food.
- You want to make wakame seaweed salad.
- You are looking for easy recipe with dried seaweed.
All right, let me show you how to make this healthy salad. If you want to check the recipe immediately, please visit the link below. Let's get started!
About This Recipe
- Japanese wakame salad recipe
- Easy and healthy salad
- Homemade sesame dressing
- More ideas for salad dressing
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Dried Wakame Seaweed: See below for more details.
- Vegetables: I picked simple lettuce, but you can add any leafy greens or cucumber.
- Dressing: We will make a simple sesame dressing with soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and white sesame seeds. You can substitute fresh lemon juice or yuzu juice for the rice vinegar or use maple syrup instead of sugar if you like a natural sweetener. See below for more salad dressing variations.
Wakame seaweed is a type of seaweed that is an essential ingredient in Japanese cuisine. The dried form of wakame is particularly popular due to its versatility and ease of use in various dishes, including miso soup and salads.
Wakame seaweed has a mild and neutral flavor with a tender and slightly slippery texture and is often used in miso soup and salads.
Wakame seaweed is a healthy food option due to its low-calorie count and high nutritional value. If you are looking for low-calorie recipes, wakame is an excellent choice!
Where to Buy Japanese Ingredients
If you live in the US, you can find Japanese ingredients in the list below.
- Japanese market: Mitsuwa Marketplace, Marukai
- Asian market
- Whole Foods Market
- Health food stores
- Online stores: Instacart, Walmart, Amazon
Let me walk you through how to make it step by step.
- Rehydrate wakame seaweed
- Drain the wakame
- Prepare lettuce
- Combine lettuce and wakame
- Make sesame dressing
Put dried wakame seaweed in a medium bowl and soak it in cold water to rehydrate. Soaking time will be for about 5-10 minutes.
When wakame seaweed is fully rehydrated, it expands to about 10-12 times its original dry size. Drain the rehydrated wakame seaweed and squeeze out any excess water.
If the pieces of wakame seaweed are too big, cut them into smaller, bite-size pieces.
Wash the lettuce, pat it dry with a paper towel, and tear it into bite-size pieces.
Place the lettuce and wakame in a large bowl and combine them.
Put all the dressing ingredients in a small bottle, put the lid on, and shake to blend.
Place the mix of lettuce and wakame on a plate and pour the dressing over. And enjoy the delicious flavors of this fresh Japanese seaweed salad!
Transfer wakame salad to an airtight container and keep it in the fridge. It will be good for 3 to 4 days.
Salad Dressing Variations
Are you looking to add some variety to your wakame seaweed salad? Try out these dressing variations! They're easy to make and add unique flavors to your salad.
- Ginger Sesame Dressing: Add freshly grated ginger juice to the sesame dressing recipe for a zesty kick.
- Spicy Sesame Dressing: Add chili flakes to the sesame dressing recipe for some heat.
- Miso Sesame Dressing: Mix in white miso paste to the sesame dressing recipe for a savory and umami-rich flavor.
- Creamy sesame dressing: Add mayonnaise to the sesame dressing recipe for a creamy and rich texture.
Thanks For Stopping By!
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡. If you've tried this recipe (or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that shares simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes, including vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
More Salad Recipes You Might Like
- Easy Tofu Salad with Seaweed
- Japanese Daikon Salad with Sesame Dressing
- Kiriboshi Daikon Salad
- Napa Cabbage Slaw
- Okara Salad
Easy Wakame Salad (Japanese Seaweed Salad)Print Pin Save Saved!
- 3 tablespoon Dried wakame seaweed, 10g
- Lettuce, as much as you like
- Soak seaweed: Soak dried wakame for 5 minutes and drain.
- Prepare lettuce: Wash the lettuce, pat it dry with a paper towel, and tear it into bite-size pieces.
- Combine: Place the lettuce and wakame in a large bowl and combine them.
- Dressing: Put all the dressing ingredients in a small bottle, put the lid on, and shake to blend.
- Serve: Place the mix of lettuce and wakame on a plate and pour the dressing over.
- Dressing: See the dressing variation for more ideas. Just salt and olive oil work well, too, or your favorite store-bought one.
- I used regular lettuce, but you can pick any green vegetables you like.