This Simmered Kabocha is an easy and delicious side dish made by simmering kabocha with sugar, mirin, and soy sauce. It's perfect if you are looking for a simple kabocha recipe.
Simmered kabocha (or Kabocha nimono in Japanese) is a sweet and delicious side dish that you can enjoy for any meal.
When it comes to Kabocha, this is classic and people make this often. I think it's a symbolic recipe for Japanese home cooking.
It's super easy to make so let's give it a try.
- This recipe is for you if:
- You love kabocha, Japanese pumpkin.
- You want to make simmered kabocha
- You are looking for a side dish recipe with kabocha.
By the way, take a look at the 10 kabocha recipes I put together. you'll get tasty kabocha recipes but also learn how to pick it, how to cut it etc in the post.
Let me walk you through the ingredients and the instructions. If you just want to check the recipe, jump to the recipe. Let's get started!
About this recipe
- Simple kabocha recipe
- Easy Japanese side dish
- Leftover ideas
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Seasonings: Sugar, Mirin, Soy sauce
If your kabocha is easy to cut, then it might not be as sweet (contains more water) and this means adding some extra sugar will make up for the lack of sweetness.
On the other hand, If your kabocha is hard and difficult to cut, then it might be sweet enough so you may not need any sugar.
Please adjust the amount of sugar according to the kabocha.
Let me show you how to make it.
- Cut kabocha
- Put all the ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until tender
- Boil down for a couple of minutes
That's it! Once you put all the ingredients in a pot and leave it to cook, your delicious simmered kabocha will be ready in under 10 minutes.
If you're not in a hurry, leave the lid closed for a while after simmering and let the delicious steam fall on the kabocha.
4 ways to use leftover
If you make too much and can't eat it, or if after eating for two days in a row the same meal becomes boring then try these leftover ideas!
- Mash simmered kabocha, add some dressing and make a Kabocha salad
- Mash simmered kabocha, add potato starch and make a Kabocha dango
- Add simmered kabocha to miso soup
- Cut simmered kabocha into small pieces, cook with rice, soup stock and eggs to make porridge
Thanks For Stopping By
This simmered kabocha is a great side dish for any meal. I hope you like the recipe.
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡ If you’ve tried this recipe(or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that shares simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes include vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
More Kabocha Recipes You Might Like
Simmered Kabocha (Kabocha Nimono)Print Pin Rate
- Cut kabocha: Cut kabocha into bite-size pieces.
- Bring to a boil: Put all the ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Simmer: Cover the lid, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Boil down: Open the lid and boil down for a couple of minutes.
- Equipment: Staub pot 18cm/7 inches
- Storage: 5 days in the fridge