This is a tasty Kakiage don (Tempura Rice Bowl) that’s topped with deep-fried vegetables. You will enjoy the savory flavors in this sauce-drenched dish for sure!
Have you tried my super easy and crunchy Kakiage recipe? If so, I highly recommend making a Kakiage rice bowl!
Place Kakiage tempura over rice with savory homemade sauce that’s ready in 5 minutes, and you will have a delicious meal.
Please give it a try!
- This recipe is for you if:
- You love Kakiage tempura.
- You want to know how to make Kakiage don.
- You are looking for rice bowl recipe.
- You are looking for easy Japanese rice bowl recipe.
Let me walk you through the ingredients and the instructions. If you want to check the recipe, jump to the recipe card. Let’s get started!
About This Recipe
- Kakiage tempura on the rice
- Japanese rice bowl dish
- Homemade sauce
- Easy and simple lunch
What is Kakiage?
Kakiage is a type of tempura made by cutting ingredients into small pieces and putting them together in batter before deep-frying.
Ingredients are usually fish, seafood, and vegetables.
Kakiage is often served with rice or noodles such as Kakiage rice bowl, Kakiage udon noodles, and Kakiage soba noodles.
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Kakiage: This Kakiage is made from onion, carrot, and scallions, which have light and crunchy textures. See the easy Kakiage recipe.
- Rice: Try Japanese starchy rice if you want an authentic experience. See how to cook Japanese rice on the stove.
- Sauce: Soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and dashi (soup stock). I use dashi powder in this recipe.
Let me show you how to make it. You can also watch this recipe video.
Click here for how to make Kakiage. Here, I will show the process of making and serving the sauce for the Kakiage don.
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, lower the heat, and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Serve rice in a bowl, and put the Kakiage on top.
- Put the sauce over the Kakiage.
Done! Crispy Kakiage, starchy rice, and flavorful sauce are the perfect companions.
Let’s have an awesome lunch with salad and soup!
What to Serve with
If you’re not sure what to serve with your Kakiage don, here is my suggestion!
Dashi is a type of stock that usually contains fish such as sardine and bonito, but you can easily substitute it with a plant-based one.
Vegan dashi is usually made from Shiitake mushrooms and kombu seaweed. You can find more details in my vegan dashi recipe.
You can also buy vegan dashi powder at an online store.
Thanks For Stopping By!
The rich sauce and crispy Kakiage are a perfect match. Give this dish a try–you’ll be glad you did!
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡. If you’ve tried this recipe(or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that shares simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes, including vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
Easy Japanese Vegetable Recipes
- Kakiage Vegetable Fritters
- Fried Kabocha Squash
- Fried Eggplant and Shiitake Mushrooms
- Eggplant Teriyaki
- Summer Vegetable Bake
Kakiage Don (Tempura Rice Bowl)Print Pin Save
- Kakiage sauce: Add all the sauce ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Serve: Serve rice in a bowl, put the kakiage on top and put the sauce over.
- You can use the leftover sauce for Japanese-style simmered dishes, or noodle soup for soba noodles and udon noodles.