Japanese corn rice is our favorite dish! It's simple and easy rice with fresh corn that has been seasoned only with salt. In the summertime, it's best to have some delicious dishes like this for dinner!
When fresh corn is delicious during the summer, this corn rice will make a perfect side to your meal.
How to cook is so simple. Just cook up some white Japanese rice with juicy sweet corn kernels, and you'll have an amazing flavor that's sure to make you smile!
- This recipe is for you if:
- You want to make Japanese corn rice.
- You want to know how to make white rice with corn.
- You are looking for how to cook corn rice in a pot.
Let me show you how to make it step by step. If you want to check the recipe, please jump to the recipe card. Let's get started!
About this recipe
- How to cook corn rice in a pot
- Use Japanese short-grain rice
- Use fresh corn
- Simple recipe with only 3 ingredients
- The cooking time is under 30 minutes.
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Japanese short-grain rice: It is a Japanese staple food and very starchy, soft, sticky, and sweet. If you want to know more about Japanese rice, please see: How to cook Japanese short-grain rice on a stove.
- Fresh corn: You can use frozen or canned corn, but I highly recommend using fresh corn when it's in the season.
- Salt: This is the only seasoning. The amount is modest in this recipe, so feel free to add if the taste is light for you.
The ingredients for this dish are simple. Seasonal corn is sweet and tasty, which means that we don't have to add too much seasoning!
This recipe is pretty simple. Let's go over how to make it. You can also watch this video.
- Rinse and soak rice for 30 minutes or more.
- Cut corn off the cob.
- Add water and salt.
- Bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Place corn on the top.
- Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
At the last, turn off the heat and leave it for another 10 minutes with the lid on. This way the rice absorb the steam inside the pot and become more fluffy.
And when you open the lid, please stir with a spoon from the bottom. Otherwise, rice will get stuck to each other and become hard!
Here you go! What a beautiful summer color rice!
If you have leftovers, please store them in the freezer. They will be just as good a month later! Scoop your single serving and wrap it up with plastic before storing it away for another day's dinner or snack.
Cook in a rice cooker
If you have a rice cooker, it's even easier to make it. After rinsing the rice, add water and salt, stir them, place corn on the top, close and press the cooking button.
Thanks for Stopping By
This corn rice is a perfect dish to serve during the summertime! It's easy and tastes great as a dish on its own or in onigiri (rice ball) like the picture above.
I hope you'll love this recipe!
Thank you for taking time to read my blog♡ If you’ve tried this recipe(or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog which share simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes include vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step by step instructions.
More Japanese Rice Recipes You Might Like
- Takikomi gohan with shiokombu
- Inari sushi
- Pressure cooker brown rice
- Corn fried rice
- Summer vegetable curry
Watch How To Make ItPrint
Japanese corn rice is simple and easy rice with fresh corn that has been seasoned only with salt. In the summertime, it's best to have some delicious dishes like this for dinner!
- 300g Japanese short-grain rice (2 Japanese rice cups)
- 1 Corn (300g)
- ½ Tbsp Salt
- 360ml Water (2 Japanese rice cups)
- Soak: Put rice in a pot, rinse under running water and soak in water for more than 30 minutes.
- Cut corn: Cut the corn in half, place it vertically, and cut it off the cob.
- Bring to a boil: Drain the water in the pot, add salt and water (360ml), stir, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Simmer: Place the corn on the top, put the lid on and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Steam: Turn off the heat, and leave it for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Stir: Open the lid, and stir from the bottom gently.
- Equipment: Staub cocotte pot 18cm, Shamoji (rice paddle), Rice cup.
- Storage: If you have leftover rice, wrap one serving in cling wrap and keep them in the freezer. It will last up to one month.
- Portion: This recipe will make 4 servings for adults and 6 servings for children.
- Japanese rice cup is 180ml.
- After steaming for 10 minutes, don't forget to stir the rice. If you don't stir, the rice will get hard.
- Seasoning is mild for kids, so if you want more taste, feel free to add some more salt.
Keywords: Japanese corn rice