Japanese Corn Rice is our favorite summertime dish! It's a simple and easy recipe containing rice and fresh corn seasoned only with salt. It's best to have a delicious side dish like this for dinner in summer!
With fresh corn being so delicious during the summer, this corn rice recipe will make a perfect side to your meal.
How to prepare is very simple, and there is minimal prep time. Just cook up some white Japanese rice, add juicy fresh summer corn kernels, and you'll have some amazing summer flavors that I'm sure will make you smile!
- This recipe is for you if:
- You want to make Japanese corn rice.
- You want to know how to make white rice with corn.
- You are looking for how to cook corn rice in a pot.
Let me show you how to make it step by step. If you want to check the recipe, please click below to jump to the recipe card. Let's get started!
About This Recipe
- How to cook corn rice in a pot
- Use Japanese short-grain rice
- Use fresh corn
- Simple recipe with only 3 ingredients
- The cooking time is under 30 minutes
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Japanese short-grain rice: It is a Japanese staple food and is very starchy, soft, sticky, and sweet. If you want to know more about this type of rice, please see How To Cook Japanese Short-Grain Rice On A Stove. You can substitute it with long-grain rice, such as basmati rice and jasmine rice.
- Fresh corn: You can use frozen or canned corn, but I highly recommend using fresh corn during the season.
- Salt: This is the only seasoning you will need. You can use Kosher salt or sea salt. The amount specified in this recipe is modest, so feel free to add if the taste is too light for you.
The ingredients for this dish are simple. Seasonal corn is sweet and tasty, so we don't have to add too much seasoning!
This recipe is pretty simple. Let's go over how to make it. You can also watch this video.
- Rinse and soak rice for 30 minutes or more.
- Cut kernels off the corn cob.
- Add 2 Japanese rice cups, water, and salt.
- Bring to a boil to medium heat.
- Place corn on top of the rice.
- Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
Finally, turn off the heat and leave it for another 10 minutes with the lid on. This way, the rice absorbs the steam inside the pot and becomes more fluffy.
And when you open the lid, please stir with a spoon from the bottom. Otherwise, the rice grains will get stuck to each other and become hard!
Here you go! What a beautiful summer color rice!
If you plan to eat the leftover rice the next day, store it in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator.
Alternatively, for longer storage, you can store it in the freezer. Simply scoop out a single serving and wrap it in plastic before storing it away. When you're ready to eat, reheat it in the microwave or on the stove.
Cook in A Rice Cooker
This dish is even easier to make if you have a rice cooker. After rinsing off the uncooked rice, add water and salt, stir, place corn on the top, close, and press the cooking button.
Thanks for Stopping By!
Corn Rice is one of our favorite summer dishes. Like the picture above, it's easy to make and tastes great on its own or in onigiri (rice balls). I hope you'll love this recipe!
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡ . If you’ve tried this recipe (or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that shares simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes, including vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
More Japanese Rice Recipes You Might Like
- Takikomi Gohan with Shiokombu
- Inari Sushi
- Pressure Cooker Brown Rice
- Corn Fried Rice
- Summer Vegetable Curry
How To Make Corn Rice - The Japanese WayPrint Pin Save Saved!
- 300 g Japanese Short-Grain Rice, 2 Japanese rice cups
- 1 Corn Cob, 300g
- ½ tablespoon Salt
- 360 ml Water, 2 Japanese rice cups
- Soak: Put rice in a pot, rinse under running water and soak in water for more than 30 minutes.
- Cut corn: Cut the corn cob in half, place it vertically, and cut kernels off the cob.
- Bring to a boil: Drain the water in the pot, add salt and water (360ml), stir, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Simmer: Place the corn on the top, put the lid on and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Steam: Turn off the heat, and leave it for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Stir: Open the lid, and stir from the bottom gently.
- Storage: If you have leftover rice, wrap one serving in cling wrap and keep them in the freezer. It will last up to one month.
- Portion: This recipe will make 4 servings for adults and 6 servings for children.
- Japanese rice cups are 180ml.
- After steaming for 10 minutes, don't forget to stir the rice. If you don't stir, the rice grains will become hard.
- Seasoning is mild for kids, so if you want more taste, feel free to add more salt.