These vegan tofu nuggets are a delicious and crispy meatless dish. It's an excellent option for plant-based protein and a healthier snack alternative!
If you enjoy eating nuggets, you'll surely love these tofu nuggets as well! Crafted from tofu, they offer a delightful combination of light and fluffy texture with satisfying chewiness.
Furthermore, preparing them is a breeze - blend the ingredients, form them into nuggets, and pan-fry until crispy!
- This recipe is for you if:
- You love tofu.
- You are looking for a vegan tofu nugget recipe.
- You want to make vegan chicken nuggets .
All right, let me show you how to make these. If you want to check the recipe, please jump to the recipe card below. Let's get started!
About this recipe
- Japanee-style crispy tofu nuggets
- Easy vegan recipe
- Use food processor
Here are the ingredients (amounts are in the recipe card below).
- Tofu - Tofu is a great plant-based protein for a vegan diet. Pick firm or extra-firm tofu, as we don't want excess liquid.
- Cashew nuts - Add creaminess and cheesy flavor to the nuggets.
- Panko - A type of breadcrumb that has a light and airy texture. Use to soak the water from the tofu.
- Salt and Pepper - to season
- Wheat flour - Use it for making crispy skin. You can use any wheat flour, such as all-purpose or cake flour.
- Oil - I use olive oil, but you can use vegetable oil or any oil of your choice.
Let me walk you through how to make it step by step. You can also watch this video.
First of all, press the block of tofu to remove the excess water.
- Put pressed tofu, cashew nuts, panko, salt, and pepper in a food processor.
- Blend them until smooth and transfer the wet batter to a large bowl.
- Grab the batter and roll it to make a ball. If it's too soft to form, add more panko to make it firm.
- Pour plenty of oil into a frying pan or cast iron skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Form the ball into a nugget shape, coat it with wheat flour, and place it on the pan.
- Pan-fry each side for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Leave them on a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
Here you go! They are fluffy but firm and so good!
The seasoning is mild, with only salt and pepper, so please enjoy dipping them in ketchup, barbecue sauce, hot sauce, or your favorite dipping sauce.
Put leftover nuggets in an airtight container and store them in the fridge. The texture will change over time, so please eat them up within the next day.
When freezing, please do it before coating it with flour. Put the formed tofu nuggets in a freezer bag and place them flat in the freezer. It will last for one month.
You can add these to the tofu mixture, adding it more meaty texture and flavor.
- Add garlic powder
- Add onion powder
- Add nutritional yeast
Yes, you can. But the mixture will be softer so it's better to add more bread crumbs.
Yes, without pressing, it will be hard to form as it's too soft. But if you use extra firm tofu, it may not be necessary.
The texture will be different, but you can. Bake them at 200C for 15 to 20 minutes without coating them with flour.
Thanks for Stopping By
This vegan tofu nuggets recipe is a great way to substitute regular nuggets. I'm sure your whole family will enjoy it!
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡ If you’ve tried this recipe(or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that shares simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes, including vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
More Tofu Recipes You Might Like
- Vegetarian tofu hambagu
- Fried tofu(atsuage) teriyaki
- Japanese-style vegan mapo tofu
- Japanese teriyaki tofu and mushrooms
- Vegan tofu quiche
Vegan Tofu Nuggets (Japanese-Style)Print Pin Save Saved!
- 1 Food processor
- 1 Frying pan , 22cm / 8.7inches
- 1 Firm tofu, 360g
- ⅓ c Cashew nuts, 50g/80ml
- 1 ¼ c Panko, 60g/300ml
- ⅓ teaspoon Salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Wheat flour, All-purpose flour, cake flour
- Oil for cooking
- Press tofu: Press tofu completely to get rid of the excess water.
- Blend: Put tofu, cashew nuts, panko, salt, and pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Form: Form the tofu mixture into nuggets shape by rolling and flattening and coat with flour.
- Pan-fry: Pour plenty of oil into a frying pan and heat over medium heat. Pan-fry them each side for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Storage: It will last for one day in the fridge. You can freeze them before coating them with flour. Put the formed tofu nuggets in a freezer bag and place them flat in the freezer. It will last for one month.
- If the tofu mixture is too soft to form, add more panko to make it firm.