Are you looking for tasty Japanese Lotus Root Recipes? Here, you’ll find 6 delicious dishes to enjoy their delightful flavors to the fullest!
When it comes to winter vegetables, lotus root is a must! From stir-fries to soups and fried dishes, it adds deliciousness to everything! Give our favorite easy-to-make recipes a try!
- This recipe is for you if:
- You love Japanese dishes.
- You want to learn how to cook lotus root.
- You are looking for easy lotus root recipes.
Let’s get started!
Lotus Root (Renkon)
The lotus root, known as “Renkon” in Japanese, is the edible stem of the lotus plant and is widely enjoyed in various Asian countries. It is a unique vegetable with holes running through it and is often used in celebrations in Japan as a symbol of good luck.
With its distinctive crunchy texture, the lotus root is a versatile ingredient that people prepare in many ways. It also provides health benefits, being a rich source of vitamin C and dietary fiber (source).
Fresh lotus root is available during winter at Asian markets or Japanese grocery stores. Alternatively, you may come across frozen pre-sliced lotus root in-store and online.
1. Fried Lotus Root with Curry Twist
If you’re a fan of Japanese tempura, you’ll love this Fried Lotus Root with Curry Twist, a delicious appetizer! I’ve enhanced the tempura batter with rice flour, curry powder, and mayonnaise, adding an additional layer of flavor. Just coat sliced lotus roots in batter and fry them until golden brown. Enjoy!
2. Japanese Lotus Root Soup with Beans
Warm up this winter with this easy and delicious Japanese Lotus Root Soup With Beans recipe! This heartwarming dish is sure to become a family favorite!
3. Japanese Stir-fried Lotus Root Recipe
For a quick and tasty side dish, try the classic Stir-Fried Lotus Root! This straightforward Japanese recipe involves thinly sliced lotus root stir-fried with sesame oil and chili pepper, seasoned with soy sauce and mirin, and finished off with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
This cooking method is known as kinpira and is widely applied to various crunchy root vegetables. Kinpira Gobo, featuring burdock root, is another classic side dish you might like!
4. Easy Nimono Recipe with Japanese Vegetables
This Nimono Recipe is a must-try if you love winter vegetables and enjoy Japanese cooking! It’s a traditional simmered dish bursting with full, flavorful richness!
5. Lotus Root Salad with Japanese Twist
If you’re looking for a nutritious side dish, try this Lotus Root Salad. Make thin slices using a vegetable peeler or slicer, and then toss them with a dressing based on soy sauce. It’s a delightful blend of crispiness and Japanese flavors that will elevate your dining experience!
6. Japanese Fall Salad with Renkon and Kabocha
You’ll love this healthy and easy Fall Salad with Renkon and Kabocha! This delicious salad is made with roasted lotus root and kabocha squash tossed in seasoned hijiki seaweed.
Helpful Tips for Cooking Lotus Root
- Freshness Matters – Look at the cross-section and find that the holes are uniform in size, with no blackening around or inside them; the lotus root is considered fresh and delicious.
- Prevent Discoloration – Lotus roots turn black when cut and exposed to air. To prevent this discoloration, soak them in a bowl of cold water or a little bit of vinegar water for about 5 minutes immediately after cutting.
Thanks For Stopping By!
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡. If you’ve tried this recipe (or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that shares simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes, including vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
More Vegetable Dishes You Might Like
- 8 Tasty Japanese Sweet Potato Recipes To Try Today
- 9 Easy and Delicious Japanese Eggplant Recipes
- How To Cook Napa Cabbage and 5 Easy Japanese Recipes
- 12 Easy Japanese Daikon Radish Recipes
- 15 Japanese Kabocha Squash Recipes (Vegetarian)
6 Easy Japanese Lotus Root Recipes (Stir-fried and more)Print Pin Save
- Lotus root
- Pick a recipe from these Japanese lotus root recipes1. Fried Lotus Root with Curry Twist2. Japanese Lotus Root Soup With Beans3. Japanese Stir-fried Lotus Root Recipe (Kinpira Renkon)4. Easy Nimono Recipe with Japanese Vegetables5. Lotus Root Salad With Japanese Twist6. Japanese Fall Salad with Renkon and Kabocha
- Follow the recipe instructions and enjoy the delicious dish!