Searching for delicious and easy-to-make Japanese eggplant recipes? Dive into a world of flavors with these dishes, from crispy tempura to savory miso glazes!
You’ve come to the perfect place if you love Japanese eggplant! Here, I’ll share my all-time favorite eggplant recipes that are easy to make and call for simple ingredients.
Find your new favorite eggplant recipe and savor the deliciousness!
- This recipe is for you if:
- You love eggplant.
- You are looking for Japanese eggplant recipes.
- You want to learn how to cook Japanese eggplant.
If you want to check the recipe immediately, please visit the link below. Let’s get started!
About This Recipe
- 9 Japanese eggplant recipes
- All are made with simple ingredients
- Includes vegan and vegetarian recipes
Japanese eggplants, called Nasu in Japanese, are slim and long, unlike regular globe eggplants. They are shorter than Chinese eggplants and have a dark purple color, almost black.
Once cooked, they offer a milder, sweeter flavor profile and a wonderfully tender and almost creamy texture. What sets them apart further is their thin and less tough skin.
Their thin skin makes them perfect for quick cooking methods like stir-frying, deep-frying, and sautéing. This allows them to absorb flavors easily and stay tender.
You can usually find Japanese eggplants at Japanese or Asian grocery stores. However, if they are unavailable, Chinese eggplant is the best substitute.
Selecting the Perfect Eggplant
Here are a few tips for selecting a fresh eggplant at the grocery store:
- Look for a dark purple color with a glossy sheen.
- It should feel firm and heavy when you hold it.
- Check that the end of the stem appears fresh and vibrant.
- Notice if sharp thorns are still present on the stem.
Where to Buy Japanese Ingredients
If you live in the US, you can find Japanese ingredients in the list below.
- Japanese market: Mitsuwa Marketplace, Marukai
- Asian market
- Whole Foods Market
- Health food stores
- Online stores: Instacart, Walmart, Amazon
9 Easy and Delicious Japanese Eggplant Recipes
Check out our collection of favorite Japanese eggplant recipes – there’s sure to be one you’ll love!
- Teriyaki Nasu
- Eggplant Tempura (Deep-Fried Eggplant)
- Pickled Japanese Eggplants
- Panko-crusted Fried Eggplants
- Miso Glazed Eggplant
- Sauteed Japanese Eggplant
- Stir-fried Japanese Eggplant and Tofu with Miso Paste
- Summer Vegetable Miso Soup
- Summer Vegetable Bake
1. Teriyaki Nasu
Teriyaki Nasu is a simple but flavorful Japanese eggplant dish that brings together the deliciousness of teriyaki sauce and the tender, pan-fried eggplant. Give it a try, and you’ll be in for a treat!
2. Japanese Eggplant Tempura
Eggplant Tempura takes the humble Japanese eggplant to new heights. Coat the eggplant pieces in a light, crispy batter and fry them until they’re golden and delicious. You’ll love the crispy outside and the soft inside – it’s a yummy combination!
3. Simple Pickled Japanese Eggplant Recipe
This easy Pickled Japanese Eggplant turns eggplants into a tangy side dish. The eggplants soak up flavors during pickling, giving them a slightly sour and sweet taste. They’re a tasty addition to any Japanese meal!
4. Panko-crusted Fried Eggplant Recipe
Panko-crusted Fried Eggplants offer a delightful crunch. The panko breadcrumbs add a tempting texture while the eggplants stay tender inside. They make fantastic appetizers or side dishes that’ll leave everyone wanting more!
5. Miso Glazed Eggplant
Miso Glazed Eggplant, also known as Nasu Dengaku, is a classic Japanese dish. It’s all about the slices of cooked eggplants covered in a sweet and savory miso glaze. This dish highlights the wonderful flavors of Japanese cuisine!
6. Sauteed Japanese Eggplant With Ponzu Sauce
Sauteed Japanese Eggplant with Ponzu Sauce is a cozy taste of Japan. It’s all about cooking up soft eggplant pieces until they’re just right and tossing them with a special sauce called Ponzu. It adds a tangy twist that makes your taste buds happy!
7. Stir-fried Japanese Eggplant and Tofu with Miso Paste
Stir-fried Japanese Eggplant and Tofu with Miso Paste combine the silky smoothness of tofu with the tender bite of Japanese eggplant, all infused with the rich umami of miso paste. It’s a quick and satisfying meal perfect for those busy weeknights.
8. Summer Vegetable Miso Soup
Summer Vegetable Miso Soup is a light and refreshing variation of traditional Japanese miso soup. It’s all about capturing the deliciousness of summer with seasonal veggies, including Japanese eggplants. Enjoy it as a tasty appetizer or a light meal on those sunny days!
9. Summer Vegetable Bake
Summer Vegetable Bake is a real summer delight. It’s a colorful blend of fresh summer vegetables, including Japanese eggplants. These veggies roast perfectly, bringing summer’s essence to your plate. Whether you have it as a side dish or a hearty vegetarian meal, it’s a tasty treat!
Thanks For Stopping By!
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡ . If you’ve tried this recipe (or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that shares simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes, including vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
More Recipes You Might Like
- 18 Best Japanese Side Dishes with Easy Recipes
- 8 Easy Shiitake Mushroom Recipes and A Quick Guide
- How To Cook Napa Cabbage and 5 Easy Japanese Recipes
- 8 Tasty Japanese Sweet Potato Recipes To Try Today
- 12 Easy Japanese Daikon Radish Recipes
9 Easy and Delicious Japanese Eggplant RecipesPrint Pin Save
- Japanese eggplant
- Pick a recipe from these Japanese eggplant recipesTeriyaki NasuEggplant Tempura (Deep Fried Eggplant)Pickled Japanese EggplantsPanko-crusted Fried EggplantsMiso Glazed EggplantSauteed Japanese EggplantStir-fried Japanese Eggplant and Tofu with Miso PasteSummer Vegetable Miso SoupSummer Vegetable Bake
- Follow the recipe instructions and enjoy the delicious treat!