This chocolate covered whole wheat cookies are crunchy, eggless, and easy to make with only 5 ingredients. Not required cookie cutter also. Let’s learn how to make it!
I like to add whole wheat flour to my cookies as it provides darker color, crunchy texture, and some nutrition.
This whole wheat cookies are a little dry but chocolate melt in your mouth and leave the creamy texture.
They require no egg, no butter, only 5 ingredients are needed, super simple recipe.
Even if you are a beginner baker, you won’t fail. That easy!
- This recipe is for you, if you
- are looking for whole wheat flour cookies
- want to make chocolate covered whole wheat cookies
- like easy, healthier, eggless cookie recipe
Let me walk you through the ingredients and how to make it with step by step instructions. Let’s dive in!
About this recipe
- Whole wheat flour 100%
- No egg nor butter required
- No cookie cutter required
- Coat with your choice of chocolate
Here are the ingredients(amounts is in recipe card below).
What is whole wheat flour?
Whole wheat flour is well known as healthy grain. As you may already know, I will explain it briefly.
Whole wheat flour is like brown rice before it is milled.
Flour like all purpose flour and pastry flour extract some part of wheat before grounding but whole wheat flour is ground whole grain including the epidermis and germ. That’s why it has a darker color.
Whole wheat flour nutrition
In terms of nutritional value, it is richer in vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber, less gluten, and has a lower Glycemic Index than all purpose flour.
It contains less gluten than all purpose flour, the dough is more difficult to hold together and you cannot expect a fluffy texture.
For example, bread made from whole wheat flour tends to be hard or dry.
Also, since the Glycemic Index is low, for those who are concerned about blood sugar levels, whole wheat flour products is more recommended than all purpose flour.
I often buy this dark chocolate(cacao72%), so I used these for this recipe but you can use any type of chocolate.
All right, ready? Let’s make the cookies. Watch how to make in this video also!
Firstly preheat an oven to 160C/320F.
- Add ingredients in a bowl : Put maple syrup, oil, and salt in a bowl and blend well, add whole wheat flour and stir.
- Make a dough : Use your hand to hold the dough together. If it’s too hard, add some oil to hold it together.
- Roll out the dough
- Shape the dough : Use a dough scraper to straighten the side.
- Split the dough：Split equally with the dough scraper(or knife).
- Bake : Bake for 20 minutes at 160C/320F. Let them cool down, and snap one by one to separate them.
- Melt chocolate：Put chocolate in a bowl and melt in double boiler over simmering water(The bowl should be larger than a pot, not like the picture above).
- Cover with chocolate：Spread the melted chocolate on the cookies, or you can dip it, and place on a cooling rack.
Your cookies are ready! Please enjoy after the chocolate is solidified.
I’m not good at covering with chocolate, so it doesn’t look perfect(the surface is not even)but the taste is guaranteed!
Besides covering with chocolate, you can also make chocolate sandwich cookies! How you design the cookies is up to you!
If you don’t feel like dealing with chocolate, just skip the step and enjoy the plain simple whole wheat cookie!
Thanks For Stopping By
You will need only 5 ingredients, and like you see this is so easy to make. I hope you will make this and enjoy these yummy cookies!
If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment section below!
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog♡ If you’ve tried this recipe(or any other recipe on the blog), please give it a star rating below!
Also, feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. I love hearing from you!
Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog that share simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes include vegan and vegetarian. From traditional Japanese recipes to modern recipes with step-by-step instructions.
More Cookie Recipes You Might Like
Chocolate Covered Whole Wheat CookiesPrint Pin Save
- Preheat oven: 160C/320F.
- Blend Wet ingredients: Put maple syrup, oil, and salt in a bowl and blend.
- Add flour: Add whole wheat flour, stir and make a dough.
- Split the dough: Roll out the dough, split equally with a dough scraper(or knife).
- Bake: Bake for 20 minutes at 160C/320F, and let them cool down.
- Cover cookies with chocolate: Melt chocolate in double boiler over simmering water, and spread it on the cookies.
- Place a silicon mat to make cookies more crispy.
- If the dough doesn’t hold together, stir in oil little by little.
- I used dark chocolate(cacao 72%) for this recipe.