Cook daikon and atsuage(deep fried tofu) slowly in a pot and enjoy this daikon nimono recipe. It's flavorful, tender and so easy to break with chopsticks.
- Cut daikon: Peel daikon and cut it into bite-size pieces.
- Cut atsuage tofu: Remove extra oil on atsuage tofu and cut it into bite-size pieces.
- Cook over medium heat: Add oil to a pot, stir fry daikon, add atsuage tofu and cook together lightly.
- Add seasonings: Add mirin, soy sauce, and shio koji and stir.
- Simmer: Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 to 13 minutes until tender.
- Boil down: Open the lid, turn over and boil down for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Equipment: Staub pot 18cm
- Storage: It will last in the fridge for 4 days.
- Substitute: If you can't find shio koji at a store, you can omit it and add 1 more tablespoon of soy sauce and mirin instead.
- The skin has fibers and is hard to soak in flavor, so peel it (3-5mm). And don't throw away the skin; you can use it for stir-fry.
- You can add other ingredients such as boiled eggs, root vegetables, and so on.
Keywords: daikon, atsuage, simmered dish