Japanese castella cake is a moist and sweet sponge cake that can be made easily with 5 ingredients! Let's learn how to make it!
- 3 Eggs
- 70g Sugar
- 30g Honey
- 30g Water
- 100g All-purpose flour
- Preparation: Preheat oven at 180C/356F. Place parchment paper on a square cake pan.
- Whisk eggs: Put eggs and sugar in a bowl, place the bowl over a tray with hot water (or a double boiler), and whisk in a hand mixer until it gets thicker (about 3 minutes).
- Add honey: Mix honey and water, add to a bowl, and mix gently at low speed in a hand mixer.
- Add flour: Sift the all-purpose flour and mix.
- Bake at 180C/356F: Pour the batter into the cake pan, tap the pan a few times to let the air out, and bake for 15 minutes at 180C/356F.
- Bake at 160C/320F: Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes at 160C/320F.
- Leave for half a day: When the cake is cool down, remove the parchment paper, wrap it in cling wrap, turn it upside down and leave it for at least half a day before cutting.
- Equipment: Cake pan 15x15 cm/6x6 inches (or loaf pan), hand mixer (or stand mixer)
- Storage: It will last for 3 to 4 days in the fridge and one month in the freezer.
- Substitute: You can substitute all-purpose flour with rice flour.
- Step 4: It is easier to mix by adding it split into twice instead of adding it all at once.
- Step 5: If the surface color is not brown enough, please extend the baking time until brown.
- Step 7: You can eat it right away, but it will be more moist and tasty by leaving for a half day.
Keywords: Japanese castella cake